Seki Seisetsu (1877 - 1945)
Buddhist priest belonged to the Rinzai-Shu Sect of Zen Buddhism.
Seisetsu was born in Hyogo Prefecture on January 18 of the 10th year of the Meiji era (1877).
In 1900, he became the chief priest of the Tenrin-Ji Temple in Hyogo.
He pursued Zen spiritual practices under Hashimoto Gazan and Takagi Ryuen,
then, Seisetsu received an Inka (high-level certification) from them.
In 1922, Seisetsu assumed the position of the 7th Kancho (minister) of
the Tenryu-Ji branch of the Rinzai-Shu Sect.
He became the 240th head priest of the Tenryu-Ji Temple in Kyoto.
He caltivated many disciples such as Seki Bokuo (the 241th head of the
Tenryu-Ji), Ohmori Sogen and Shimizu Kosho.
Seisetsu passed away at 69 on October 2 of the 20th year of the Showa era (1945).
He was good at drawing.
The Tenryu-Ji Temple is the headquarters of the Tenryu-Ji branch of the Rinzai-Shu Sect.
The temple was founded in 1339 by Ashikaga Takauji (1305-1358), the first
Shogun of the Muromachi Shogunate, and the first chief priest was Muso Soseki.